Tuesday 25 November 2008

Training Week 3 - "Novice marathon runner seeks workaholic masseuse..."


The pain!


Week 3 not so hot..did a 9km run on the Monday which just didn't feel right especially around the lower legs. Woke up on Tuesday with a dull throbbing along both shins which developed into a bit of a stabbing pain by Wednesday, so pretty much hung up my boots for the week hoping its nothing that a bit of rest can't sort out.



Did some reading on the net and talking with other runners as well as a sports therapist contact and the consensus seems to be shin splints!


All is not lost however! There are a few things I can do to minimise the impact of this injury on my training and with this clearly in the forefront of my mind I carried on with my weekend away in Berlin...


Firstly good eating!










Keeping my legs elevated where possible..





Cross-training....well.. snow fighting against zee Germans!










Oh yes and then there's the post-training ice therapy..


In all seriousness though, the legs did start getting progressively better throughout the weekend, enough even in the early hours of Sunday to go for a light 1km jog in the snow..fully coated.


Anyway plan for week 4
-Reduce distances run, increase frequency
-Invest in new trainers
-Adjust running style to be more off the balls of my feet rather than heels
-Meet friendly masseuse



Week 3 results:
Distance Covered: 10.1 km's
Total running time: 1 hour
Average speed: 10.1 km/h
Money raised: £40.00 (Massive thanks to Chris, Imelda, Kat and Rob!)

No comments: