Tuesday 6 January 2009

Training Week 9 - Bloody Cold!



Well England has just been hit by a cold snap and this is really starting to affect the running!.

Absolutely stoked to say I finally managed 4 runs in a week! Adding to another record weekly run.

First run was on Thursday 30th December, the plan was to run 10km or so to get to a gym to sign up, as clearly the weather is not meant for running in..unfortunately it became clear about 2km's into the run that with all the ice developing on the pavements that it was fan too risky to be out running, I still carried on and took the most direct route home resulting in a small 7km run.

The following day was New Years Eve and since I was due to finish work earlyish I figured I could squeeze in a bit of a run before the ice hit the pavements..unfortunately work didn't finish as early as expected..not that it would have mattered much since the pavements were icing up by about 2pm, still I didn't realise until I was out there.

The plan was to run to my mates place near Wimbledon from West Croydon..now I'd run out that way some time ago and was reasonably sure there was a stretch of road near some parks that didn't have a pavement. I looked on google-maps and when I printed my route I turned on satellite view and printed out the tracks I needed to run on when I got to that road. So I figured I was well prepared..



The run was going pretty smoothly despite the occasional ice sheet, about half way through I hit the road without a pavement and made my way into one of the parks, turned the page of my printed out map-book..and what do you know? Satellite view didn't print, all I had was a blank section where my carefully planned route should have been.. Seeing as it wasn't quite dark I figured I could bluff my way through it..turns out I have a lousy sense of direction. What should have been an 11km run taking a little over an hour turned into a very cold and frustrating 13.5km run taking over 1 hour and 40 minutes! ..and in turn led to me leaving the New Years do a little after midnight as I was feeling tired..either that or maybe I'm getting old.

After a night off I was back into it on the 2nd, I did absolutely nothing on the 1st to make sure my legs were in fine form for a good run, things didn't go particularly well with both shins and calves playing up again nearly pulled out about 2 km's in but powered on and after about 6km's they came good and I finished an 11km run pretty strongly. Think the problem might have been something to do with circulation, I didn't move from my desk much during the day then when I ran it was in the cold and up hill.

My final run for the week was on Saturday morning around a park that's close to my house, it was a nice change to a) be running in sunlight b)running on a soft surface and c)running in shorts, think I might make it a habit of having at least one park run a week.


Bring on week 10

Week 9 Results:

Distance Covered: 38.8 km's
Total running time: 4 hours 13 minutes
Average speed: 9.2 km/h
Money raised: £35.00 (Cheers to Rich & Sarah, little sister Mary, Mum and Mark..and also to whoever dropped that $40.00 back in Stratford New Zealand, be assured its gone to a good cause)

Cheers,

-Josh

No comments: