Monday 29 December 2008

Training Week 8 - Going places!



Start of the run just down a little from my house





Well I seem to be going from strength to strength at the moment..again managed to add a bit more on the previous weeks running and again only managed the 3 runs..from next week this will definitely have to go up to 4 nights a week running. Now as I mentioned last week my big goal this week was a Beckenham to Bayswater run after work Christmas Eve, some 18km's distance.




Near Streatham heading into Clapham area
















Clapham Common..about half way there






















I decided I would start the week with a short run so as to give my legs a decent rest for Thursdays big run, the plan was the most direct route home about 5.5km, 5 minutes into it I was feeling pretty bored so in order to make it interesting I lifted my pace a little above what was comfortable and I had a crack at beating my 5km record. Despite having to stop to re-tie my laces and being completely exhausted I did break my record by a solid 30 seconds! Unfortunately the extra stress from this run really put my Christmas Eve run in doubt, both shins, calves and even a knee were giving me issues right up to Wednesday afternoon.





Much needed carbo-gel on Battersea Bridge



Still not wanting to throw the towel in without giving it a crack I set off after work with the plan to take it easy and if something was to suddenly hurt more than usual then not be a hero and just take the closest public transport.














Chelsea Port-a-loo





After a slight hiccup with a gang of Chav's and a pack of dogs (have I mentioned how much I love London lately) I made some good steady progress from my house and up the hill taking me through Anerley and Crystal Palace where it peaked somewhere near Norwood and to be honest its all a bit of a blur from then on, the route I plotted was fairly straight forward and I was super conscious about keeping an eye out for turn-off's to avoid getting lost. I crossed the Thames on Battersea bridge and grbbed a couple of photos as well as devoured a carbo-gel to get me through the last 5 or so km's, unfortunately I found Hyde park to be closed so I had to add an extra kilometre to get round the park. Anyway I finished it in 2 hours 8 minutes, not a cracking pace but when you consider the sore legs and the odd stop for photo's\traffic then probably not a bad time at all especially as I was still standing at the end..also worth noting only another 3 km and it would have made it a half marathon.






I had a bit of a holiday until Sunday where I had another long distance run, this time from Brixton to Bayswater on the way for my cousins farewell drinks, nothing too exciting here except running the back streets in Brixton is not particularly bright (though you do run faster) and an open Hyde park is fantastic for running!



Finished! And yes I am steaming


Week 8 Results:

Distance Covered: 34.5 km's
Total running time: 3 hours 43 minutes
Average speed: 9.3 km/h
Money raised: £25.80 (Thanks again Greg & Amelia!!, also thanks to little brother Tom!)

No comments: