Tuesday 10 March 2009

Training Week 18 - Official Half Marathon this weekend coming..and sick with a cold...again

Well trying to continue with last weeks momentum I tried an energetic 10km outdoor run after work on the Monday, unfortunately my left leg had other ideas and I was forced to limp home after a paultry 6km. Tendonitis again my afliction, mostly now in my left leg, anyway with a bit of rest and ice over the next two nights I was then well enough to have another run on the Thursday.

This one I tried at the gym so to reduce the impact on my legs, I managed a pretty good paced 10km, thanks mostly to whoever got the TV's on the treadmill working properly allowing me to zone out to this weeks 'The Rugby show'.

I had plans to head to Oxford on the Friday night so managed a fast 5.5km run on my lunch break and a beautiful 8.5km run along the Oxford canal on the Saturday, really enjoyed this run, its amazing how much easier a run is when the scenery is invigorating.

I was back London way on the Saturday night and although I had plans to meet up with fellow marathon runner Charles for a run together on the Sunday I had to cancel due to a very suspect Burrito eaten the night before, I won't go into detail here but running was not an option.

Its Tuesday night now, and unfortunately I have come down yet again with a cold..which is getting a little beyond funny now, I think save for 3 or 4 days I have been sick now in various capacities for over a month. The official half marathon is this Sunday so I'm going to have to make a call on whether I run it sometime in the next couple of days. I was feeling fine yesterday and managed a good 16km run with still plenty of gas left in the tank so I think if I can just shake this cold by Friday I should still have the fitness to compete, albeit at a very relaxed pace. Don't really have a clue whats going wrong with my health, I have lost another couple of kg's in the last 2 months and my bodyfat is at an all time low. Fingers crossed things will improve shortly.

Assuming I make it there, the half marathon is taking place on Silverstone race track, where the British leg of the Formula 1 took place last year, so to give me that added advantage I have got hold of a guide video from Jacques Villenueve on how best to approach the race.

Week 18 Results

Distance Covered: 30.4 km's
Total running time: 3 hours
Average speed: 10.2 km/h
Money raised: A massive life saving £164.00!!!!! This has really righted the ship, so a huge thanks to Esther & Milton, Jenny, Isaac & Nikki, Tomo and Mary - I realise this is a small fortune in New Zealand dollars so am very humbled, you do realise now that no matter how sick I get even if I have to drag an IV line behind me I will be running this marathon!

No comments: