Monday 23 March 2009

Training Week 20 - Fantastic result!


Over 60km's run last week and no new injury and no new illness, couldn't be happier!

Fruit and vitamin intake - Gratuitous
Alcohol intake - Nil
Bedtime - Early
Social Life - Hanging by a thread

5 very solid runs this week.

Monday- 11km run from work, legs a bit sore for the first couple of km's but came right

Tuesday- 10km run from work, to compensate for the tendonitis I made this run mostly grass, legs came through fine but was feeling pretty fatigued by the end.

Wednesday- Day off, legs elevated and iced, early night had.

Thursday- Back into it, 10 km run from work, again tendonitis causing issues but altered route back onto grass and legs coped better.

Friday- A little worried about the tendonitis for the half marathon I figured I'd just do a short run in my lunch-break to maximise rest time before Sundays run..unfortunately I did manage to somehow get a little lost in Croydon..and lose track of the time, 9km later I was back at work.

Sunday- Absolutely beautiful day! Unfortunately I woke with a bit of a chesty cough, by midday and after a good helping of bacon and eggs I felt well enough to give that half-marathon a crack - map here => http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2655036

The first 10km's went pretty well, though by the 15km mark the heat and effort was definately being felt.

At about 18km I was feeling noticibly light headed and really had to concentrate hard to do things like cross roads or tram tracks.

At 19km, I was beginning to wish I'd brought along a second bottle of water and that I hadn't wasted my last carbo-gel at the 17km mark.

At 21km, I was verbally abusing myself for planning a route that was clearly a whole kilometre more that a half-marathon and thereby physically impossible to accomplish with my current fitness levels.

At 22km, I was now cursing myself for putting in a staired railway overbridge at the end of my run..no way could I get up there!

At 22.15km and over the darned overbridge and the end of my run I'm stoked about finishing well and have new respect for the full marathons 42km requirement.

And my time - 2 hours 4 minutes! (about 14 minutes faster than my goal)

Anyway a very successful week, now to build on it

Week 20 Results:

Distance Covered: 62.25km
Total running time: 5 hours 46 minutes
Average speed: 10.8 km/h

No comments: