Monday 30 March 2009

Training Week 21 - 1 month left!


Another very good running week!

Again no booze, instead we have: Wellman's vitamins, Cod Liver Oil, Echinacia drops and vitamin C bullets (grapes...).

5 runs this week, I figured I'd up my weekly runs to 12km or so and then attempt a 24km run on the weekend.

Tuesday: 12.5km - was a little worried for the first half hour or so with both shins giving me some grief, though once they warmed up properly it was plain sailing

Wednesday: A very fast 8km run with a big uphill followed by a big downhill, was out to dinner after this one so didn't do my ice routine..which I've now learnt is a bad idea

Thursday:12.5km - legs not in good shape, definately understand the value in icing my legs after each workout, still managed a good distance but at a very slow pace..much icing afterwards!

Friday: Legs still not that great I figured on a gentle 5km run on my lunch-break to give me a good 48hour break before my 15 miler attempt.

Saturday: Day off, on the couch watching rugby and icing injuries

Sunday: Fellow marathon runner Charles and I headed out on what should have been a 24km run.

It was a nice day but my shins were still giving me grief and as it had been raining the last couple of days, this route didn't involve many parks as they would be too slippery.

We went a pretty steady pace for the first 16km and probably slowed a bit between 16 and 20km due to fatigue, getting a little lost with googlemaps not being 100% accurate, and what turned out to be a mammoth very long hill.

At about the 22km mark it was all downhill so picked up the pace again and finished suprisingly with a bit of a sprint.

When I mapped the detour it turned out we ran an extra couple of miles or 27km total, and the time 2 hours and 34 minutes..and even better no new injuries and I actually felt I could of ran another couple of km's..if I really had to....

Week 21 Results:

Distance Covered: 65.3km
Total running time: 6 hours 09 minutes
Average speed: 10.6 km/h
Money Raised: £19.00 Big thanks to Grandma, Grandad, Mum and Mark

No comments: